Sunday, May 5, 2013

Additional sound proofing and insulation check.....

Several members of our Ryan homes blogging community have taken on the challenge of installing additional insulation to the interior walls of their homes. It is very tricky business ordering the fan favorite Roxul insulation determining the right night to come and install it at just the right point in the build just before the drywall goes up.

We decided to "forget about it" and just get a quote from the insulation company. Surprisingly it was much more economical than we originally expected. So we expanded the insulation upgrade if you will to include pretty much all of the interior walls and added spray foam above the garage in addition to upgrading the padding. Our daughters room will be above the garage and we know how cold it gets in the bedroom above the garage in our current home so we took the extra step there.

You already know how we get about attention to detail so my Husband goes down Friday to check out the work and sees that two areas are not insulated per our request. We call the company and she says okay we will take care of it immediately.  All the drywall in place ready to go. When we went back down Friday evening so I could write our prayers and blessings one area is still not done, the main wall that needs it in the Family room because of the main drain that according to fellow bloggers is super loud.

We call the rep back but of course there is no answer it is like 7pm by this time. I was up at like 4am with the baby and I decided to text her the picture of  the location and to my surprise she responds around 7am saying the guys will be there that morning to put it in. They showed up and took care of it.

One thing I will tell you is that the drywallers will move the insulation if it is causing them a problem hanging the drywall so you might want to hang around if you can to make sure they don't take it out. Here ar a few of the locations we added insulation you can also see it in the photos of our prayers and blessings in all of the rooms.


Kitchen 

Upstairs hallway 
We had the door to the 4th bedroom moved to the other hall because it will be the baby's room we didn't want his door to be at the top of the steps.

the baby's bedroom wall adjoining the bonus bedroom bath


Extended the insulation to cover the entire garage 


Part of the wall missing the insulation


16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tip on my blog about letting the insulation company do the extra insulation!
    We were experiencing issues with the timing of ordering Roxul and trying to determine the best time to go out and install it. We a call in to the insulation company to price how much it will be to fully insulate the garage and throw some up between a couple of the rooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will be happy with the job they do just make sure you check behind them before the drywall goes up.we actually saw a couple pieces in the dumpster after the Drywall was up.

      Delete
  2. Great idea...our master is above the garage and I am really afraid it will get cold in there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I hate to be cold! I hope it will work.

      Delete
  3. We did the extra insulation but I swear it doesn't feel like it! So I have decided to get the spray foam insulation because it seems to work best and the home is complete! Our PM told us the insulation would not really help and I believe him now! Plus we did not insulate the pipes and other areas so I feel like its necessary to do at this point to save on bills and remain warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no you can't feel the difference at all! That is disappointing. I could feel the difference and could barely hear my husband and the electrician talking in the next room. Maybe the drywallers took some of it down. We saw a few pieces of ours in the dumpster.

      Delete
  4. This is really cool were getting the Roxul in the common areas like baths etc and spray everywhere else I wonder if it is going to help with noise and temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Roxul helps really well with the Sound and the spray foam is more for temperature. But I'm no expert ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting about your experience with this. We have a pre construction meeting in two days and we'll see if the PM will let us do it through the insulation company.. otherwise it will be late night operations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, i'm glad it will help you. Just sharing the love :) I hope your pre construction meeting goes well. If your PM is like ours he will probably give you thier number. Our PM does not have a problem giving the contractors information. We got a lot of "little extras" working directly with the contractors it pays to hang around on site.

      Delete
  6. It’s great that the insulation can add as additional sound-proofing, or am I understanding it wrong? Regardless, additional insulation on some areas around the house, such as bedrooms and lofts, is a good thing, especially when the cold weather comes along.

    Herb Koguchi @ Kroll Construction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wall insulation Bethlehem PA, Air Sealing Bethlehem PA, Floor insulation Bethlehem PAWhat a nice thinking. I love that. Here is another wall insulation informer. Please see it now and get a some good information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. attic insulation removal and replacement

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post. I like this topic. This site has lots of advantage. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways. Thanks for posting this again.Spray Foam Attic Insulation Services

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know no article is perfect, but yours is as close as it gets. Good job. This article is appealing and very well-written. The first two sentences encouraged me to read more. Thanks for posting this again.Garage spray foam insulation in Toronto

    ReplyDelete